09 February 2010

Female is What is Good for Us.

China Smack has a whole gravy train of Transsexuals lined up in the latest post. I read the title but was almost convinced that they were women by the end of it. I'm not the best when it comes to figuring out the genders of individuals that don't fall strictly on either side anyway, and I'm not bothered by it really. I think it's a skill that is developed naturally only if you re in constant danger of taking home a lady boy against your knowledge.

Perhaps it's because I live in sex-is-cheap-and-sometimes-free Asia that I get the feeling there's a hell lot more transsexuals over here than across the Pacific, or maybe it's more accepted here as a personal lifestyle choice. Or even as an economic one.

I read some research awhile back done in India on gender ratios of new births depending on castes. The lowest caste had a skewed ratio of a non-negligible amount of females to males. In a tough economic situation, it makes more sense to be female, and if the gods won't do their duty, I don't think anyone sees a fault in helping nature along its desired course. Perhaps in some implicit manner, this affects individuals not born in that lower lot anyway.

Then, there's also the case for population control. Post-op lady-boys are quite unlikely to give birth. We often view such human choices as artificial and as a construct of society. But I like to view human choice as something that is developed on a canvas with millions of years of evolution behind it. We think it's artificial, but it's not. There is something, a kind of collective knowledge, that compels certain trends.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment